Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Day 26 - Incremental Improvements

Yesterday was staff meeting day at the clinic, when all the staff get together, discuss the patients, and decide what next.  This is good because both Katherine and I are asking the same thing...  Amelia has started eating food again, in small amounts, what next?  Do we follow the clinic's normal meal plan (really designed around helping Anorexic/Bulimic/Binge Eaters not as much for ARFID kids)?  Do we keep giving her 4 bottles of Boost a night?  When will she start eating breakfast, lunch, and snack at the clinic?  All questions that we are wondering about.

Well, at least one or two of these we got answers this morning.  Tomorrow morning, Katherine and Amelia are going to have breakfast at the clinic.  Katherine being there to have breakfast WITH Amelia solves at least for the short term, the issue of not enough supervision for all the kids.  Here is hoping that goes well and she doesn't get too frustrated with Amelia.  Regarding the Boost, we were told NOT to put her on the tube tonight (no Boost at all) in hopes of her waking up a bit more hungry tomorrow, to help with breakfast. 

Our last questions, regarding the meal plan and what does and doesn't apply to Amelia, and how we should follow it, etc. ad nauseum...  Well, we got the clinic to rearrange the nutritionist's schedule for us tomorrow so that we get in to see her at 9:30 AM, an hour and a half or so before our meeting with the family counselor, which is an hour or so before the meeting with the nurse...  So, LOTS of meetings tomorrow.  We are hoping that we can get everything sorted out and get a little bit better understanding of what the next steps and the expected progression is going to be.

On the fun side, though Amelia ate little of her dinner tonight (partially my fault... chicken broccoli stir fry that I seasoned, and then used Teriyaki sauce that was a bit salty, the broccoli was pretty overly salted), afterwards we got to paint ceramics...  Amelia and I both did a plate.  Hers is a bit abstract with blotches of color and dots and lines and stuff.  Mine has lady bugs and leaves around the wide rim underneath, with blue wrapping the edge from the bottom around the edge to the top.  And in the middle of the top of the plate are two ladybugs on a leaf... Hope it turns out half as nice as I saw it in my head...

Other than that, I went out for a 4.25 mile run tonight, along the East Esplanade in Portland, over one of the bridges, along the Waterfront, over the Steel bridge, and back to Ronald McDonald House...  It was a little creepy, and I wish I had mace with me just in case, but I survived (mostly).  I will say, the chafing is real my friend... the chafing is real.

That all being said, today was a slightly better day.  In spite of Katherine's frustrations, I think we are making incremental improvements.  Little steps forward, inches at a time, but we are moving forward.

Thanks all for the prayers, support, just for taking the time to read this daily.  I try to keep it interesting and worthwhile.  Hope I accomplish that.  Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment