Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Day 19 - Day 1 of Snowmaggedon 2018!

Yes, we are actually getting some snow here in Portland.  It was off and on throughout the day, and I came home from work early to try helping Katherine and Amelia to clinic, but I was too late.  So, I stayed at Ronald McDonald House and just worked remotely.  I even managed to get some work done.

When we walked (yes, walked) to clinic to pick Amelia up, we got some good news and some bad news...  The good news, they are planning on testing out eating tomorrow with Amelia (lots of prayers for this as we want this to go well).  The bad news, due to the weather, clinic MIGHT be closed tomorrow... I am sure that would just mean that they postpone trying food until clinic is open again.  The one issue with that is Amelia's choice of foods to try...  She is really excited about the idea of French Toast.  That is one of the few things that they cannot do in the Kartini Clinic kitchen.  So, Katherine made up a couple of pieces of french toast tonight as a "test run" for when Amelia is eating again (at least that is what Amelia was told because she doesn't know about tomorrow).  A couple of those will then go to Clinic tomorrow for Amelia to eat (hopefully) later in the day, along with 5 or 6 nice, whole strawberries.  Here is hoping...

So, the snow is beautiful.  As I am writing this it is deepening to upwards of 3-4 inches right now, and even though WE are within walking distance of the Kartini Clinic, that doesn't help if the people that WORK there can't get there...  Tomorrow might be a snow day of hanging around Ronald McDonald House trying not to go crazy, and trying to get SOME work done remotely.

One of the girls from Amelia's group went home today.  This is a really good thing, as it means they feel she is recovering enough to head home.  We talked a little about this with Amelia, that it was good her friend went home, and someday they will be ready to let Amelia go home.  I am still trying NOT to get my hopes up too much that the day will come a lot sooner than later.

To close, prayer requests:  Pray for Amelia's first attempt at eating again.  She says she really wants to, that she misses eating, that the french toast smelled REALLY good, and we hope these are all good signs...  Pray that we are accepting whatever the outcome might be.  I SO want her to take to it easily and immediately and start rapidly to recover from here, but I am so afraid that if she doesn't I will be disappointed.  I kind of feel myself setting myself up for disappointment just in case.  I want her to excel with this, I want her to be able to head home soon.  I just don't want her to feel that I am disappointed with her if it doesn't happen sooner rather than later.  We are committed to being here until she is better.  Lastly, pray for the people at Kartini Clinic, in their daily work with these kids.  Not just with my child, but with all of them there...  The job the people at the clinic do is so important, helping these children who are afraid to eat, anxious about it, having fears and strong emotions about eating too much or too little to the point they make themselves sick...  Be with each of the employees.  Keep them safe, give them strength, courage, and a kind heart.

Thanks all.  Here is to hoping this blog doesn't last too much longer...

No comments:

Post a Comment