Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Day 33 - Frustration and Waiting

Yeah, that was pretty much today...  While at lunch, I got a call from the Family Therapist at Kartini Clinic, and about half way through listening to the message, Katherine called to tell me what it was about.  The good news:  Amelia's tube is definitely coming out tomorrow.  The bad news: the insurance is only covering through tomorrow...  This seemed unusual because the doctor still feels Amelia needs to be there a little longer...

So, being a computer geek, I first tried to online chat with someone at our insurance.  That resulted in "your provider should really be requesting this information..."  So I asked for a number to call.  There, I got in touch with Jill.  I will say Jill was amazing.  She tracked down who I needed to talk to, even though it was NOT in the medical but in the behavioral health unit.  She said the person was not in, but gave me her phone number and extension so I could call and leave a message.  She also said she would send the woman (our case manager) an e-mail, and she would follow up with me tomorrow on it.

What information Jill WAS able to get me was this:  The doctor's office / the clinic had only requested 4 more days on the 1st of March because Amelia was looking good, and they thought the would be discharging her tomorrow.  But, over the weekend after that, Amelia did not progress as fast as we would have liked, so we now feel she needs to stay there longer.  The doctor's office just needs to call the insurance back and state this to get further authorization, at least that is my current understanding.  So, that is the current plan.

Now, we are again waiting for tomorrow, when the tube SHOULD finally come out, but we are also hoping that tomorrow we don't just get the handshake and "thanks for coming" from the clinic because the insurance won't cover something.  So we are gearing up for battle with the insurance tomorrow if necessary.  Hopefully not, but if we have to, we will.

Prayers for good resolution with the insurance, for better attitude from Amelia (she has been more and more difficult tonight about swallowing and such, making us just that much more nervous about the tube coming out...), for patience for us, and for grace on this whole process that it may occur smoothly.  Thanks all.

No comments:

Post a Comment